ROASTED CHICKEN WITH LEMON AND HERBS
Este prato É sucesso garantido. O limão e as ervas deixam o sabor especial e a técnica do preparo garante carne macia e suculenta. Read more
View in original language
- Whole chicken1 unit(s)
- Large onions3 unit(s)
- Garlic head1 unit(s)
- Lemons2 unit(s)
- Salt1 tablespoon
- Sweet paprika1 teaspoon
- Brown sugar1 teaspoon
- Laurel branches2 unit(s)
- Rosemary sprigs4 unit(s)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Olive Oil to taste
- Wash and dry the lemons. Using a zester (or grater) zest the peel of 1 lemon.
- In a small bowl, mix the salt, paprika, brown sugar, lemon zest and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Dry the chicken well with paper towel. Place the chicken in a large bowl (or platter) and season with the marinade.
- Rub the salt and spice mixture well over the entire skin, between the skin and breast meat and inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Cover the bowl (or cover with film) and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour.
- After the marinade time has passed, preheat the oven to 220 ºC (high temperature). Remove the chicken from the refrigerator for 30 minutes to lose the ice.
- Peel and cut the onion into 1.5 cm thick slices. Drizzle the bottom of a large baking dish with a drizzle of olive oil and distribute the onion slices.
- Form a bed for the chicken. Arrange 3 sprigs of rosemary greased with olive oil and 1 sprig of bay leaves over the onions.
- Also place the whole head of garlic in the pan. Drizzle everything with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Drizzle the chicken with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and spread it well with your hands. Cut the lemon you used to make the zest into quarters.
- Place the lemon quarters inside the chicken cavity.
- With 4 bay leaves. Finely chop the leaves from the remaining rosemary sprig and mix with 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small bowl.
- Position the chicken on the cutting board, breast side up, and tuck the tips of the wings under the back – this way they don't burn while roasting.
- Cut a large piece of string, hold one end in each hand and place the center of the string at the thickest part of the breast.
- Pass the string over the thighs, close to the side of the chest; go around the outside of the ends of the thighs, cross and tie.
- Pull the ends of the string down, looping it around the chicken's tail and tie it together with the thighs.
- Place the chicken in the roasting pan, over a bed of onions and herbs, breast side up and place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- As soon as the skin starts to take on a golden tone. Reduce the oven temperature to 180 ºC, and let the chicken bake for another 55 minutes.
- In the last 5 minutes, carefully open the oven and spread the olive oil with chopped rosemary over the chicken skin to give it an extra herb flavor.
- With the tip of a knife, make a small hole where the thigh meets the breast. If the liquid comes out without blood, it is a sign that it is ready.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Don't skip this step: during this time, the meat juices redistribute, which guarantees a moist and tasty roast.
- Serve with onions, roasted garlic and lemon cut into wedges.