Basic tomato sauce
View in original language
- Tomatoes2 kg
- Finely chopped medium onion1 unit(s)
- Garlic Cloves8 unit(s)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil4 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Sugar if needed to taste
- Basil leaves to taste
- Remove the skin from the tomatoes
- Remove the brains and seeds from the tomatoes and place in a sieve to extract the liquid. Reserve the liquid and discard the rest.
- Beat the tomato pulp in a food processor or blender to the desired texture and add it to the seed liquid.
- In a pan over low heat, heat the oil and quickly fry the garlic without letting it brown, just to sweat. Add the onion, a pinch of salt and now, stir until golden. Be careful not to burn the onion or the residue that forms at the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomato pulp and cook over low heat with the pan semi-covered for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust the salt, season with pepper and if you think you need it, add a pinch of sugar to reduce the acidity of the sauce. Be careful with the sugar not to make a sweet and sour sauce.
- If eating right away, add the basil. If you are going to store it, you can let it cool and add the herb when preparing the recipe or also let the sauce cool and add the herb right before storing.
- Tip: store tomato sauce preferably in glass jars. If you don't have it, store it in plastic containers. NEVER IN METALLIC CONTAINER